Broadcom BCM 43xx wireless chips

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 22:35:33 UTC 2016

On Wed., 16 Nov. 2016 at 8:09 pm, Andy Mender <andymenderunix at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Adrian,
>
> I set the mentioned option (BWN_GPL_PHY just below the bwn driver) in the
> kernel config file and recompiled the STABLE kernel.
> Now the additional message about BWN_GPL_PHY is gone, but there is some 2-3
> features listed as unsupported. The driver gets attached to the network
> card as siba_bwn0, but no interface is created by ifconfig.
>
> What should be the name of the interface in /etc/rc.conf - siba_bwn0 or
> bwn0?
>
> Otherwise, paradox added a link to some Broadcom device datasheets from
> Cypress: http://www.cypress.com/search/all?f[0]=meta_type%
> 3Atechnical_documents&f[1]=resource_meta_type%3A575&f[2]=
> field_related_products%3A110101
>
> I had a quick look and although bcm4321 and bcm4322 are not on the list,
> bcm4318, bcm4319 and bcm4325 are. Might be relevant to further testing and
> writing drivers in general.
>
> Best regards,
> Andy
> "

Hi Andy,

Since 11.0-RELEASE FreeBSD no longer shows the parent interface for
wireless devices in ifconfig. It will only show the cloned wlan0 device
once it is created.

To determine which wireless devices are available to clone to a wlan0
interface, use the following command:
$ sysctl net.wlan.devices

Once you have found the wireless device, set it up using the normal method:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html

Good luck!

Regards,
Ben