The status of docker

ss griffon ssgriffonuser at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 03:23:02 UTC 2019

I'm a bit late to the game, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.  I don't see
the benefit of implementing "docker" in FreeBSD.  If you are just
implementing the linux system calls i.e. using the linuxulator, then you
lose any benefits of running on FreeBSD.  It seems like implementing the
docker interfaces, like a Dockerfile, registry support and networking
switches using FreeBSD specific implementations would be extremely
helpful.  Especially for the CI/CD workflow.

For example:
#Dockerfile

#Pull a image from registry and create a new dataset with snapshot.
#Registry could be http, ftp or any other transfer protocol.
FROM FreeBSD:RELEASE-11.2

#Copy app directory into the jailed directory.  Perhaps setting system
immutable flag.
COPY ./app /app

#Use pf to route to port 80 from the host.  Or use vnet
EXPOSE 80

#Run a command in the jail to prepare the new image.
RUN env ASSUME_ALWAYS_YES=yes pkg install bash nginx uwsgi py36-flask

#Mark the startup command
CMD /bin/sh /etc/rc

The above would be very familiar to docker users and can be used to
generate a standards compliant image (I believe there was a project jetpack
that did something like this).  Creating a OCI compliant image would
probably be the first step to using kubernetes, but I haven't really spent
any time looking at kubernetes.

We could also add extensions for using resource limits, capsicum, devd,
security levels etc.  The other cool thing is this could all be run inside
a jail using heirarchical jails.

Shane