usb/177895: similar 1TB Western Digital "My Passports" - some load, some don't

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Tue Jul 16 10:30:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Hans Petter Selasky
<hans.petter.selasky at bitfrost.no> wrote:
> I`ve been thinking that perhaps I should start selling certified USB hardware that doesn`t have all of these caveats you guys report all the time :-) Would you buy stuff if I opened up an USB shop?

+1 :-) Good idea to introduce "FreeBSD Certified" or "Daemon Powers"
or similar kind of certificate to know if this hardware works with
FreeBSD or not, not only in USB area :-) This could be managed by
FreeBSD Foundation like a hardware-compatibility with great
granularity. Test could be performed by vendors, core team, or
independent researchers, then clients would simply know what to buy
and what to avoid (i.e. avoid Intel WiFi cards, problems with WDC
drives, etc). Vendors would be interested in increased sale of their
products and so FreeBSD would have better drivers when vendors take
care of their proper implementation and funding :-)

+1 For selling stuff that works out of the box on FreeBSD, that would
also create financial support for your great work Hans so you can
concentrate on things that are really important! :-)

Best regards! :-)
Tomek