usb/177895: similar 1TB Western Digital "My Passports" - some load, some don't

Velcro Leaf velcroleaf at rocketmail.com
Tue Jul 16 11:13:50 UTC 2013

> The stalled messages has nothing to do with the mass storage part. It simply indicates that some error happened during a USB control request.The USB stack will re-try this particular message, so it is not directly dangerous.

Well, the drive doesn't actually work on the other computer, so something important is wrong.  The fact that the other machine silently fails is maybe more telling?

> After many years in the USB game I feel a need to emphasize again, that many of the mass storage related errors reported here are not a USB HOST problem. There is a USB standard defined at www.usb.org, that we are trying to comply to.

I totally respect that, but all these devices work with other OSs (which shall remain unnamed).  There's intellectual purity and then there's getting the freaking things to work.  How do these other OSs deal with the quirks?  Is it a matter of downloading piles of drivers?

I do like the idea of a FreeBSD Seal of Approval.  It would save us all a lot of time.

Any suggestion for fixing the problem?  (Other than the long term, but probably fruitless, suggestion of complaining to Western Digital?)