usb/177895: similar 1TB Western Digital "My Passports" - some load, some don't

Hans Petter Selasky hans.petter.selasky at bitfrost.no
Tue Jul 16 10:06:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

The stalled messages has nothing to do with the mass storage part. It simply indicates that some error happened during a USB control request. The USB stack will re-try this particular message, so it is not directly dangerous.

After many years in the USB game I feel a need to emphasize again, that many of the mass storage related errors reported here are not a USB HOST problem. There is a USB standard defined at www.usb.org, that we are trying to comply to. And also there is a SCSI standard which we are trying to follow. Unfortunately, like with many standards, there are some areas which are not covered properly, which leave room for different implementations.

However, please continue to report these issues at this list when you hit them, but also write to the manufacturer of your device and complain. The FreeBSD`s USB stack has been analyzed into scrunity by at least one big company, which I suspect is going to use it in a game's console, and nobody so far gave me feedback that there is something really bad in there going to freak out your computer!

I`ve been thinking that perhaps I should start selling certified USB hardware that doesn`t have all of these caveats you guys report all the time :-) Would you buy stuff if I opened up an USB shop?

--HPS