Renaming our threads libs

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 25 17:53:13 PDT 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> The current situation only makes sense to those that have been
> watching the deal from day one, in "user land" confusion reigns
> and we're punishing those that choose our platform but letting
> it continue.

And when someone has a threading bug, how are we suppose to
know which thread library it is in?

A simple 'ldd application' works if the thread libraries
stay named differently.  And a simple 'ls -l /lib/libpthread*'
also works easily.

I don't see how installing either libthr or libkse as
libpthread is going to help.  It's not clear which one is
"libpthread" that way.  The links make it clear, as well
as 'ldd' output.  And this can only help us when there
are problem reports submitted.

I really don't see how there is a big confusion.  All ports
should use -lpthread or -pthread, as well as other 3rd
party applications.  If someone is smart enough and wants
to bypass the default threading library, then they are
going to be less confused by always having the libraries
consistently named regardless of what DEFAULT_THREAD_LIB
is set to.

--
DE