Renaming our threads libs

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 25 17:44:26 PDT 2007

* Daniel Eischen <deischen at freebsd.org> [070925 17:39] wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, LI Xin wrote:
>
> >David O'Brien wrote:
> >>We have little time before 7.0-RELEASE to get this right..
> >>
> >>For consistency and expectations from users (especially of other OS's),
> >>should we ask RE@ to rename libpthread to libkse (or whatever) and rename
> >>libthr to libpthread?  Remember - what we release 7.0 will be burned into
> >>folks Makefile's and vernacular.
> >
> >Do you mean repocopy from src/lib/libpthread -> src/lib/libkse?  Because
> >libpthread.so.X is now installed as a symbolic link to actual default
> >threading library I think it would be an overkill to rename libthr to
> >libpthread, but to reduce confusion it might be better to rename
> >lib/libpthread to lib/libkse.
>
> I think it's fine just the way it is.  Everyone currently knows
> libpthread and libthr by name.  libpthread is currently installed
> as libkse.  I don't think you need to repo copy the src tree
> to match, unless there is too much heartburn over having the
> src directory named differently from the library.  I think
> libthr should remain named as it currently is.
>
> The links are a convenient way to swap between either of
> the two (or future) libraries as default and still leave a
> visible sign as to which library is the default.  So I
> really think those should stay as they are.

The current situation only makes sense to those that have been
watching the deal from day one, in "user land" confusion reigns
and we're punishing those that choose our platform but letting
it continue.

you should see the threads I've seen at multiple places, it's
not even 100% clear to me what I should be pushing as the
"supported" threading platform these days.

--
- Alfred Perlstein