Issues starting unbound on boot

Markus Wipp m.wipp at BlueBird-AG.com
Tue Apr 30 20:24:33 UTC 2019

On 30. Apr 2019, at 22:10, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu<mailto:paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu>> wrote:

On Apr 30, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Markus Wipp <m.wipp at BlueBird-AG.com<mailto:m.wipp at BlueBird-AG.com>> wrote:

Hi all,

I currently face an issue, where I don’t know further on why this happens and what I could do about it.
I hope that this is the correct list to ask my question. If not please let me know where else I might try my luck.
I installed unbound from ports, configured it and can start / stop it from command line with service unbound start without any problems.
But whenever I reboot the machine it just doesn’t get started. The only information I was able to find out so far can be found in /var/log/messages:
root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start unbound

I tried to run with rc_debug=“YES” and got the following:
root: /etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: unbound_enable is set to YES.
root: /etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: start_precmd: start_precmd
root: /etc/rc: DEBUG: checkyesno: rc_startmsgs is set to YES.
root: /etc/rc: DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit:  limits -C daemon /usr/local/sbin/unbound  -c /usr/local/etc/unbound/unbound.conf
root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start unbound

uname -a:
FreeBSD h01dc01 11.2-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p9 #0: Tue Feb  5 15:30:36 UTC 2019     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net<mailto:root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Thanks for any useful hints in advance

I don't know how useful this is, but depending upon how the unbound startup script is defined to start (e.g., the REQUIRE: and BEFORE: lines in the startup script), maybe it is set to start up too early, e.g., before /usr/local is mounted?  This at least would be one reason why it doesn't start up at boot but will start up manually from the command line.

Cheers,

Paul.

First of all thanks for looking at my issue Paul.
I think I never modified the startup-scripts, so they should be as installed with the port.
# PROVIDE: unbound
# REQUIRE: SERVERS cleanvar

I’m running this machine on ZFS, so /usr/local should be mounted then, if I understand this correctly.
The real bad thing is that I have no idea where to start looking for the root cause of the issue.

Thanks
Markus