CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Sun Apr 28 22:21:39 UTC 2019

On Apr 28, 2019, at 3:52 PM, <kris at ixsystems.com> <kris at ixsystems.com> wrote:

> FreeBSD Community,
>

> I'm pleased to announce a CFT for builds of FreeBSD 12-stable and
> 13-current
> using "TrueOS-inspired" packaged base. These are stock FreeBSD images which
> will allow users to perform all updating via the 'pkg' command directly.
> Rather than trying to answer all questions in this announcement, we've
> created a FAQ page with more details. Please refer to this page, and let us
> know if you have additional questions that we can include on that page
> going
> forward.

I currently keep my FreeBSD/arm and FreeBSD/arm64 systems up to date via
PkgBase in FreeBSD 12.  It works well for me (crossbuilding and hosting the
PkgBase repository on a FreeBSD/amd64 system).

What is the difference between the above CFT-created PkgBase and one
created via "make packages" using the native build system
(https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase)?  Looking at the FAQ you linked
(https://trueos.github.io/pkgbase-docs/), it seems the above CFT system is
less granular than the one currently produced via the in-tree "make
packages" (which could be a good thing from a simplicity standpoint).  Is
there anything else?

Is the above CFT-produced packages the system that will ultimately become
the way packaged base is produced in FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE, or is it just an
alternative you want people to try out and evaluate?  I guess I'm not clear
what "TrueOS-inspired" packaged base means. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.