Problem with STABLE-12

Filippo Moretti filippomore at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 14:07:32 UTC 2019

 Did you build world yesterday and now drm-kmod is working again?The only problem I have with legacy both drm and ati is that smplayer crashes the system and I have to reset via power switch.Filippo

    On Thursday, April 25, 2019, 4:00:00 PM GMT+2, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:

 On Apr 18, 2019, at 8:01 AM, Pete French <petefrench at ingresso.co.uk> wrote:

>> I have a radeon graphics card, too.  Recently, I had a problem with the
>> graphics/drm-kmod hanging on boot in multi-user.  My fix was to switch
>> to graphics/drm-legacy-kmod, which at least lets the system boot again.
>> I figure the newer graphics/drm-kmod no longer supports my old radeon
>> card.
>
> So, I was about to post about this, and then saw this thread. I too ave
> had to go back to the legacy-kmod because something broke it in the last
> couple of weeks. Was using the new one fine until then. Unfortunately I
> didnt know it was broken as have been working remotely and thus not in
> front of the machine. But I doubt that the Radeon stopped being supported
> soehow - that would be mentioned somewhere surely ? It looks like a hang
> on loading the module to me.

As of yesterday, the graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod port is working for me[1].
This is good news because a) the video quality is better, and, b) it
supports colour, which graphics/drm-legacy-kmod didn't seem to.  (So now I
get a green status bar again in tmux.)

In other words, it may be that whatever broke in graphics/drm-kmod has now
been fixed?

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] At least working in FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r346597.