removable storage usability, devd, hald and X11-desktop in general

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Mon May 21 09:02:27 UTC 2018

Am 20.05.2018 um 23:52 schrieb EBFE:
> On Sat, 19 May 2018 20:35:59 +0200
> Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd at omnilan.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Biggest question: How are useres expected to handle removable media?
>>
>> I'm a happy user of autofs(5) in several environments (mostly for NFS
>> mounts), but I'm not aware of any helper tool which enables _users_
>> to unmount before pulling the UFD.
>> I've heard of PC-BSD and Lumina (see later why I haven't really tried
>> out the modern "light" desktops) and I think I remember having read
>> they utilize devd(8).  But again, how to unmount?
>
> There is a nice little daemon: sysutils/dsbmd
> (see https://freeshell.de/~mk/projects/dsbmd.html
> and /usr/local/etc/dsbmd.conf.sample)
>
> with a simple GUI sysutils/dsbmc and cli (sysutils/dsbmc-cli) clients.
> It supports automounting using devd and/or polling and automatic
> or manual unmounting.

Thanks!  Also to Kurt and Edward for their answers.  Suitable advises
for people with an idea what a filesystem is about, but not for my step
daughter.  Even if her biggest idol would tell her that it's cool to
wait 5 seconds before pulling the UFD, she wouldn't accept; if she's
ready with copying, the device also has to be ready. period. But she
accepts the "eject" step from other OS...  it's a instruction she tells,
so it's acceptable.  As long as she needn't to type anything...  And
she's by far not the only one I know with similar expectations – the
computer has to do what the user tells, as soon as the user has to
follow "strange" computer "rules", fun abruptly ends ;-)

sysutils/dsbmc is completely new to me.

Meanwhile I read about sysutils/bsdisks – UDisks2 compliant.  Never
heard of UDisks2 before, but will have a look asap, sounds interesting too.

It's supposed to be supported by x11-fm/pcmanfm-qt – by far the most
sensible x11 filemanager I've tried so far (offers checkmark to store
folder specific preferences, switches from beautified path to text path
on click, easy to configure single-click, and the usual thumbnail etc.
is working too at acceptable performance – not even close to Rox filer
or Thunar, but this might vary if one doesn't use it from gtk session
but Qt based session/desktop).

Also found out that it should be easily possible to use xfce4wm with LXQt.
As time permits I'll keep trying out those highly appreciated
alternatives – I've always been happy that my X11/xfce4 desktop helped
my saving time compared to Windows XP, but since then, many usability
cherries grew in windows, which I'm missing on X11 and hoped that the
famous X11 desktop projects would have picked.  pcmanfm-qt at least
catches up with XP usability...

-harry