unable to boot 11.2-BETA1 on BeagleBone

Christopher Hall christopherhall.hsw at gmail.com
Wed May 16 02:42:16 UTC 2018

Hello Glen,

On Wed, 16 May 2018 02:07:43 +0000, Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:02:30AM +0800, Christopher Hall wrote:
> > Hello Glen,
> >
> > On Tue, 15 May 2018 13:46:49 +0000, Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org>
> > wrote:

> > > I saw this too with 11.2-BETA1, but due to inconsistencies
> > > between two different BeagleBone SoCs used to test, could not
> > > rule out if the problem was due to local hardware failure.
> > >
> > > Specifically, one of two I have has the EMMC overwritten to avoid
> > > needing to "manually" boot FreeBSD, and the UART does not work
> > > correctly (because I am dangerous with solder), and nothing
> > > outputted on the HDMI console.  The other system has working
> > > EMMC, seemingly broken HDMI output, but working UART that only
> > > displayed repeated 'C' when booting.
> >
> > Just tried
> > FreeBSD-11.2-PRERELEASE-arm-armv6-BEAGLEBONE-20180504-r333226.img.xz
> >
> > on my working BBB but only got repeated 'C' on serial port.
> >

> To be clear, you observed the repeated 'C' on the serial port, and the
> system did not boot?  I want to make sure, since you mentioned you did
> see at least some repetition of 'C' on the console but eventually the
> system did come up fine.
Only outputting 'CCCCC' continuously I let it run only a few minutes
and there were several hundred of 'C'.  It did not boot into FreeBSD.
(No response to any key press or attempt to send break)

There was some difficulty to boot back into Linux I had to leave power
disconnected for a while before I got Arch to boot again:

The Arch Linux uSD this:

U-Boot SPL 2014.07 (Aug 10 2014 - 19:47:18)
** Partition 1 not valid on device 0 **
spl_register_fat_device: fat register err - -1
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
U-Boot SPL 2014.07 (Aug 10 2014 - 19:47:18)
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img
U-Boot 2014.07 (Aug 10 2014 - 19:47:18) Arch Linux ARM

I stopped the CCCC by pulling out 5V power and waiting then the
Arch Linux uSD started again.  The CCCC was starting and stopping in
the Linux case, but was steady output in FreeBSD case.

Let me know if you want additional tests

--
Best Regards.
Christopher Hall.