Upgrading 11.2 -> 12.0 on EC2

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Dec 19 18:38:13 UTC 2018

On 12/18/18 10:50 PM, Brian Neal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m looking for advice on doing a release upgrade of a running instance.  It looks like the normal procedure using freebsd-update requires a reboot between invocations of the install command, but after the first reboot, most of the userland is non-functional, including most importantly sshd. Is it safe to run the install commands back to back without rebooting?  Or is the only safe procedure to build a new instance from scratch for each release?
I've done it successfully in the past but IIRC it was pretty sketchy - i
think i put script in /etc/rc.local to finish the upgrade.

for dev purposes i've done upgrades via rebuilding from source without
too much drama.  i'd due to the build/mergemasters and installworld
before a reboot.  but again this was for dev/testing, so if things
didn't work out loosing data was a non-issue.

I've since decided that one of the advantages of AWS is that I can
easily just allocate a new VM, but this is predicated that I've got all
my configs in a config mgmt engine and my user volumes exist on an EBS
volume.

-pete

--
Pete Wright