Common Desktop Environment broken when compiling from ports tree on FreeBSD 12 RC3 (May also apply to the final build)

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Dec 17 03:01:27 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 08:21:14PM -0600, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> You can try to build the broken ports either by deleting the BROKEN
> line in the Makefile

True, but see below ...

> or through some poudriere trickery

-T  Try building BROKEN ports by defining	TRYBROKEN for the build.

(This is the equivalent of forcing an ignore of the BROKEN lines).

Now, having said that ... over the past 2 weeks I've done a TRYBROKEN
run over everything that is marked BROKEN on powerpc64.  In the few
cases where the port built, I deleted the line.

So AFAIK all the ports marked BROKEN really don't build.  I can provide
logfiles to anyone who wants to do the debugging.

Tangential to BROKEN is the makevar NOT_FOR/ONLY_FOR.  This doesn't
get overridden by TRYBROKEN.  This setting is used to say "this port
is not able to build on this architecture due to either missing code,
lack of support for e.g. big-endian archs, and so forth."  For those
issues you may need to check with the port's upstream.

mcl