Common Desktop Environment broken when compiling from ports tree on FreeBSD 12 RC3 (May also apply to the final build)

Matthew Macy mmacy at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 17 01:45:57 UTC 2018

Let's speak with a bit more precision.  PowerPC (32-bit), with only a
lingering handful of embedded uses is "dying" and is only marginally
more relevant than the likes of sparc64.

PPC64 with the advent of Power9 is the only real alternative platform
to amd64 in the data center and the only platform other than amd64 to
fully support modern graphics cards on FreeBSD. The limited volume of
Raptor motherboards means that NRE costs are reflected in the board
cost - so it will continue to be a niche solution, but it is
definitely not going away any time soon.