11.1 running on HyperV hn interface hangs

Sepherosa Ziehau sephe at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 7 02:22:43 UTC 2017

Is it possible to tell me your workload?  e.g. TX heavy or RX heavy.
Enabled TSO or not.  Details like how the send syscalls are issue will
be interesting.  And your Windows version, include the patch level,
etc.

Please try the following patch:
https://people.freebsd.org/~sephe/hn_dec_txdesc.diff

Thanks,
sephe

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 6/9/17 7:02 pm, Pete French wrote:
>>>
>>> We recently moved our software from 11.0-p9 to 11.1-p1, but looks like
>>> there
>>> is a regression in 11.1-p1 running on HyperV (Windows/HyperV 2012 R2)
>>> where
>>> the virtual hn0 interface hangs with the following kernel messages:
>>>
>>>   hn0: <Hyper-V Network Interface> on vmbus0
>>>   hn0: Ethernet address: 00:15:5d:31:21:0f
>>>   hn0: link state changed to UP
>>>   hn0: RXBUF ack retry
>>>   hn0: RXBUF ack failed
>>>   last message repeated 571 times
>>>
>>> It requires a restart of the HyperV VM.
>>>
>>> This is a customer production server (remote customer ~4000km away)
>>> running
>>> fairly critical monitoring software, so we needed to roll it back to
>>> 11.0-p9.
>>> We only have two customers running our software in HyperV, vs lots in
>>> VMware
>>> and a handful on physical hardware.
>>>
>>> 11.0-p9 has been very stable.  Has anyone seen this problem before with
>>> 11.1 ?
>>

>> I don't run anything on local hyper-v anymore, but I do run a ot of stuff
>> in Azure, and we havent seen anything like this. I track STABLE for things
>> though, updating after reading the commits and testing locally for a week or
>> so, so the version I am running currently is r320175, which was part of
>> 11.1-BETA2. I am going to upgrade to a more recent STABLE sometime this weke
>> or next though, will do that on a test amchine and let you now how it goes.
>>
>> I seem to recall that there were some large changes to the hn code in
>> August to add virtual function support. When does 11.1-p1 date from ?
>
> make sure you contact the FreeBSD/Microsoft guys.  Very responsive.. don't
> know if they watch -stable..
> I'll cc a couple..
>

>> -pete.

Tomorrow Will Never Die