11.1 running on HyperV hn interface hangs

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Wed Sep 6 21:46:56 UTC 2017

Paul Koch paul.koch at akips.com wrote on
Wed Sep 6 09:33:26 UTC 2017 :

> We recently moved our software from 11.0-p9 to 11.1-p1, but looks like there
> is a regression in 11.1-p1 running on HyperV (Windows/HyperV 2012 R2) where
> the virtual hn0 interface hangs with the following kernel messages:
>
>  hn0: <Hyper-V Network Interface> on vmbus0
>  hn0: Ethernet address: 00:15:5d:31:21:0f
>  hn0: link state changed to UP
>  hn0: RXBUF ack retry
>  hn0: RXBUF ack failed
>  last message repeated 571 times
>
> . . .
>
> Has anyone seen this problem before with 11.1 ?

While it is/was a personal use/experiment I have
used all the following under Windows 10 Pro's
Hyper-V with networking via hn0 Ethernet as seen
from the guest FreeBSD:

releng/11.1 (no longer around to remind me of the
             most recent -r?????? but various updates )
stable/11   (various updates, -r320807 currently)
head        (various updates, -r323147 currently)

I had no problems with my use. (By no means a traffic
match to your context but definitely used.)

In all cases the Virtual Switch Manager was tied to the
(builtin) "External network" that is listed as:

Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection

in the Virtual Switch Properties pop-up for
External network. The machine is not a server.

So not totally broken as far as I can tell. Something
more specific to your context would seem to also be
involved.

Hyper-V has worked nicely for assigning 14 of the machine's
16 hardware threads to FreeBSD and doing buildworld buildkernel
and poudriere based port builds. (Windows 10 Pro not being
otherwise busy.)

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net