11.1 running on HyperV hn interface hangs

Pete French petefrench at ingresso.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 11:02:50 UTC 2017

> We recently moved our software from 11.0-p9 to 11.1-p1, but looks like there
> is a regression in 11.1-p1 running on HyperV (Windows/HyperV 2012 R2) where
> the virtual hn0 interface hangs with the following kernel messages:
>
>   hn0: <Hyper-V Network Interface> on vmbus0
>   hn0: Ethernet address: 00:15:5d:31:21:0f
>   hn0: link state changed to UP
>   hn0: RXBUF ack retry
>   hn0: RXBUF ack failed
>   last message repeated 571 times
>
> It requires a restart of the HyperV VM.
>
> This is a customer production server (remote customer ~4000km away) running
> fairly critical monitoring software, so we needed to roll it back to 11.0-p9.
> We only have two customers running our software in HyperV, vs lots in VMware
> and a handful on physical hardware.
>
> 11.0-p9 has been very stable.  Has anyone seen this problem before with 11.1 ?

I don't run anything on local hyper-v anymore, but I do run a ot of
stuff in Azure, and we havent seen anything like this. I track STABLE
for things though, updating after reading the commits and testing
locally for a week or so, so the version I am running currently is
r320175, which was part of 11.1-BETA2. I am going to upgrade to a more
recent STABLE sometime this weke or next though, will do that on a test
amchine and let you now how it goes.

I seem to recall that there were some large changes to the hn code in
August to add virtual function support. When does 11.1-p1 date from ?

-pete.