vnode_pager_generic_getpages_done: I/O read error 5 caused by r318394 (was Re: FreeBSD 11.1-BETA1 Now Available)

Guido Falsi madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 21 14:59:29 UTC 2017

On 06/13/17 13:44, Peter Blok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a while now, I’m not able to build a RPI1-B image from -stable. I have narrowed it dow to fix 318394, which adds a refresh option to geom_label. If I undo this fix in today’s stable it works ok. If I don’t I’m getting continuously:
>
> vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1 (init)
> vnode_pager_generic_getpages_done: I/O read error 5
>
> I have looked at the fix and I can’t figure out why it breaks the code.
>
> And yes I have tried various other SD cards - they all have the same issue.

Hi,

I'm seeing similar symptoms with NanoBSD images on PCEngines ALIX and
APU2 boards, using compactflash and SD card storage respectively. The
problem has appeared as soon as I started testing 11.1-BETA1 from the
stable branch.

Problem appears when I update the image, using a slightly modified
version of the standard nanobsd update and updatep[12] scripts. My
changes are not in the dd/gpart commands though, which are the same.
gpart seems the most likely candidate though.

I have just discovered this thread and I will test reverting r318394
soon. Thanks to Peter for narrowing it down!

Maybe this is related to having the disks mounted read-only?

Should I open a bug report to properly track this down?

P.S.  CCing freebsd-fs@

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot at FreeBSD.org>