vnode_pager_generic_getpages_done: I/O read error 5 caused by r318394 (was Re: FreeBSD 11.1-BETA1 Now Available)

Guido Falsi madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 22 08:26:28 UTC 2017

On 06/21/17 16:59, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 06/13/17 13:44, Peter Blok wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For a while now, I’m not able to build a RPI1-B image from -stable. I have narrowed it dow to fix 318394, which adds a refresh option to geom_label. If I undo this fix in today’s stable it works ok. If I don’t I’m getting continuously:
>>
>> vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1 (init)
>> vnode_pager_generic_getpages_done: I/O read error 5
>>
>> I have looked at the fix and I can’t figure out why it breaks the code.
>>
>> And yes I have tried various other SD cards - they all have the same issue.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing similar symptoms with NanoBSD images on PCEngines ALIX and
> APU2 boards, using compactflash and SD card storage respectively. The
> problem has appeared as soon as I started testing 11.1-BETA1 from the
> stable branch.
>
> Problem appears when I update the image, using a slightly modified
> version of the standard nanobsd update and updatep[12] scripts. My
> changes are not in the dd/gpart commands though, which are the same.
> gpart seems the most likely candidate though.
>
> I have just discovered this thread and I will test reverting r318394
> soon. Thanks to Peter for narrowing it down!
>
> Maybe this is related to having the disks mounted read-only?

I noticed that after the problem appears many commands, including
shutdown, start failing telling "device not configured" for all mounted
FSes. I'm even unable to "ls /dev".

Looks like the geom refresh changes devices from below the system in a
way which triggers this reaction.

I don't know the geom code and have been unable to find an immediate
problem in the commit mentioned above. I'd really like some help to know
where to look, or what kind of debugging information is needed.

This is quite a bad bug for people running NanoBSD and should be fixed
before the release.

Thanks in advance!

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot at FreeBSD.org>