recommendations for file server based zfs appliance

Outback Dingo outbackdingo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 13:02:30 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Stefan Hagen
<freebsd-stable-list at textmail.me> wrote:
> * Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>>>
>>> Am 18.08.2017 um 11:19 schrieb Pete French <petefrench at ingresso.co.uk>:
>>> The HP micro servers work very well, and you can pick them up remakably
>>> cheaply [...]
>>> Not sure about ECC memory support there though.
>>

>> They do support ECC, no problem.
>>
>> They are available with different CPU configurations from
>> as Pete said remarkably cheap Celeron D based systems
>> up to Xeon CPUs.
>

> I've just sold my Microserver Gen8 (Xeon) just recently.
> It's a beautiful little machine, but I didn't make me happy in the long run.
>
> Reasons:
> - Limited to 8GB Ram in total
> - Only 4 HDDs
> - JBOD support is not great
> - Harddrives are never going to sleep (not supported)
>
> Installing FreeBSD was harder than expected. The machine refused to boot
> FreeBSD
> from the internal non-raid SATA ports. I didn't try FreeNAS though.
>
> Also, in case you go with a Microserver - I think all non-xeon models do not
> support AES-NI, which will cut the throughput in case you plan to encrypt
> your
> drives.
>
> iX-Systems would have been my choice to replace this machine until I found
> out
> that I can build something myself that suits my needs even better.
>
> Note, I was looking at the 8 bay model and I would have to add around $280
> for
> shipping and tax to Germany.
>
> I'm now going for this custom build:
> - Fractal Design Define R5
>   Reason: Silent, enough space for 12 drives
> - SuperMicro MBD-A1SAI-2550F-O
>   Reason: IPMI, ECC, AES-NI, 64GB Ram, Intel NIC, low power consumption
> - 4x 8GB Kingson ECC SODIMM
>   Reason: 16GB modules are not yet available
> - Seasonic X-Series Fanless X-400FL 400W passiv
>   Reason: Fanless -> silent
>
> The complete order was around 1000€
>
> That being said, I'm planning to put an older 3ware controller in JBOD mode
> in
> it and I also have SSDs and drives already. The board has only 6 SATA ports.
> But that would be enough for you.
>
> This might be a little big for you. But maybe it gives you ideas.
>
> Best Regards,
> Stefan

Sorry but  need to as do yo want some under powered atom system? or a
core i3i7 cpu and 16 Gbs memoery, with 8 GB ports and 6 SATA ports in
a small custom build.
because thats exactly what we sell and we sell it for less the an XL
.... by a few hundred bucs, less the drives. it will easly take 6 3.5
drives and 2 2.5..... IF you really
want the specs on a sweet low end system with higher specs then the
miniXL and cheaper also then say a super micro or HP box let me know.