recommendations for file server based zfs appliance

Pete French petefrench at ingresso.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 12:54:51 UTC 2017

> temperature sensor is somehow controlled by the raid controller. So enabling
> JBOD technically works, but the machine is a lot louder than with enabled
> raid. As a workaround I've built 4 raid arrays with one disk each.

Upgrade the firmware. That fixed it for me - I run JBOD and the fanes are nice
and quiet. Noisy on boot, like all HP servers, but then settle down when
the OS starts. I have this positioned under my TV and low noise was
the main reason for choosing it.

Of course, getting the firmware upgraded means finding an HP firmware
maintenance DVD image from somewhere, as they restricted downloading them.

-pete.