Will 10.2 also ship with a very stale NTP?

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Fri Jul 24 13:19:13 UTC 2015

 Bezüglich Ian Lepore's Nachricht vom 12.07.2015 17:41 (localtime):
…
> I wonder how many other such things could be lurking in 4.2.8, waiting
> to be triggered by other peoples' non-stock configurations?  We've
…

I'd like to report one, most likely an upstream problem:

'restrict' definitions in ntp.conf(5) no longer work with unqualified DNS names.
A line like
"restrict time1 nomodify nopeer noquery notrap"
results in:
ntpd[1913]: line 7 column 7 syntax error, unexpected T_Time1
ntpd[1913]: syntax error in /etc/ntp.conf line 7, column 7

I've always been using unqualified hostnames with 'restrict', and since defining 'server' with unqualified hostname still works, this seems to be a significant bug to me. People are forced to change 'restrict' definitions, but not to also change other unqualified definitions, which potentially leads to misconfigurations, since intentionally matching definitions can now differ easily.

Has anybody already noticed this problem? And any idea if upstream is aware?

> On Sun, 2015-07-12 at 18:49 +0900, Tomoaki AOKI wrote:
>> Wow! Thanks for your time and quick response.
>> I'm looking forward to seeing it MFCed. :-)
>>
>> On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 08:56:26 +0000
>> Xin LI <delphij at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've spent some time on the MFC, the testing would still take some time
>>> (likely a day or two) and once that's finished I'll ask re@ for approval.

Thanks,

-Harry