10.2-Beta i386..what's wrong..?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Fri Jul 24 07:03:35 UTC 2015

Glen Barber wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 07:44:43PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 12:43:43AM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> > > Even on amd64, you need to tune the system with less than 4GB RAM.
> >
> > The only correct answer to "how much RAM do you need to run ZFS" is
> > "always more" AFAICT.
> >

> There's a bit more to it than that.  You *can* successfully run amd64
> ZFS system with certain tunings (vfs.kmem_max IIRC), but you also need
> to adjust things like disabling prefetching with less than 4GB RAM
> (accessible to the OS).
>
> So yeah, "more RAM" is always a thing in this playing field.
>
> Glen

...more RAM? Always more RAM?

Reality check please, this is an i386 Machine with 2 Gbytes.
It has two of 3 sockets polluted with RAM Modules (1G), there is not that
much Space to give it more RAM.

i386 is a supported architecture as far as I know, ok it where nice to
have in i386 with 8 Gigs of RAM but there are not much motherboards out
here that would support this..

This remebers me to microsofts attemts to write Software, always more RAM
and more CPU to fasten up endless loops..

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741