10.2-Beta i386..what's wrong..?

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Fri Jul 24 00:54:06 UTC 2015

Glen Barber wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 07:44:43PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 12:43:43AM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
>>
>>> Even on amd64, you need to tune the system with less than 4GB RAM.
>>>
>> The only correct answer to "how much RAM do you need to run ZFS" is
>> "always more" AFAICT.
>>

> There's a bit more to it than that.  You *can* successfully run amd64
> ZFS system with certain tunings (vfs.kmem_max IIRC), but you also need
> to adjust things like disabling prefetching with less than 4GB RAM
> (accessible to the OS).
>
> So yeah, "more RAM" is always a thing in this playing field.
>
> Glen

Actually I'm quite sucessfully running zfs on i386 (in a VM) ... here's
the trick (which leads me to suspect ARC handling as the problem) - when
I get to 512M of kernel space or less than 1G of RAM available system
wide, I export/import the zfs pool...  Using this formula I have uptimes
of months... I haven't yet tried the 'ARC patch' that was proposed
recently...

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/