Will 10.2 also ship with a very stale NTP?

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Jul 12 18:31:57 UTC 2015

On 2015-Jul-12 09:41:43 -0600, Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>And let's all just hope that a week or two of testing is enough when
>jumping a major piece of software forward several years in its
>independent evolution.

Whilst I support John's desire for NTP to be updated, I also do not
think this is the appropriate time to do so.  That said, the final
decision is up to re at .

>The import of 4.2.8p2 several months ago resulted in complete failure of
>timekeeping on all my arm systems.  Just last week I tracked it down to
>a kernel bug (which I haven't committed the fix for yet).  While the bug
>has been in the kernel for years, it tooks a small change in ntpd
>behavior to trigger it.
>
>Granted it's an odd corner-case problem that won't affect most users
>because they just use the stock ntp.conf file (and it only affects
>systems that have a large time step due to no battery-backed clock).
>But it took me weeks to find enough time to track down the cause of the
>problem.

I'm not using the stock ntp.conf on my RPis and didn't notice any NTP
issues.  Are you able to provide more details of either the ntp.conf
options that trigger the bug or the kernel bug itself?  A quick search
failed to find anything.

--
Peter Jeremy