Will 10.2 also ship with a very stale NTP?

Matt Smith fbsd at xtaz.co.uk
Sun Jul 12 08:54:56 UTC 2015

On Jul 11 23:22, Chris Nehren wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 09:58:11 +1000, John Marshall wrote:
>> It's me again with my annual NTP whinge.
>
>The answer to the perennial "will release $foo ship with old / insecure
>/ otherwise deficient $bar?" is still "install $bar from ports".

I completely agree with this, however my NTP whinge is that the NTP port
needs to have its own RC init script that is independant of the base. If
you use WITHOUT_NTP=yes in /etc/src.conf to remove the base version and
just use the port then there is no RC script. You have to copy the
version from /usr/src/etc/rc.d/ntp into /usr/local/etc/rc.d. This should
be fixed. I guess this wouldn't be too difficult to do. I said six
months ago that I might look at submitting a patch to do this, maybe I
should actually do it.

--
Matt