vt does not resume properly after zzz

marekrud at gmail.com marekrud at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:47:02 UTC 2014

John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:

> On Saturday, October 04, 2014 04:24:11 PM Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM, <marekrud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >  - DELL M1330 with Intel graphics card (Xorg used to work with intel
>> >
>> >    driver
>>
>> All of the information I can find says that this unit has nVidia graphics,
>> but Intel may be a low-priced option, as well. Again, /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> should have this information as should "pciconf -lv | grep -A3 vga". This
>> laptop goes back to 2007, so it should be using the old UMS Intel graphics.
>> It should not be using VESA, but if it is, that might point out a common
>> thread.
>>
>> I don't know the details and the actual problem was never identified, but I
>> know that some systems needed to have a kernel built with "NOOPTION VESA"
>> to get it to resume. I had this problem on my Lenovo T520 (which I am using
>> to send this reply).
>
> That doesn't apply to his system.  I have an older HP netbook (i386) that
> resumes fine in text mode with syscons, but does not resume in text mode in
> vt(4).  (This is a case where the VESA bits actually help rather than hurt.)
> However, if I kldload the kms driver ('kldload i915kms') when using vt(4),
> then resume works fine (and it also works fine in X).
>
> Marek,
>
> Can you try 'kldload i915kms' before you suspend and see if that fixes your
> issue?

1. On the laptop with Intel graphics card, when i915kms is loaded, vt
resumes without problems.  On the laptop with the ATI graphics card
(Radeon HD 8240), I use vesa driver at the moment, and it does not
resume the screen.

2. I wanted to make sure, that the problem has nothing to do with my
local system settings, so I dd'ed 10.1-RC1 image onto memory stick,
added `kern.vty=vt' to /boot/loader.conf and booted both laptops with
it.  After they started, I suspended them, tried to resume and there was
the same problem: blank screen, but system seemed to be
running. (syscons resumed properly with the same method.  There were
problems with the USB stick and root partition, but I think that's
normal and irrelevant.)

Thank you!
Marek