vt does not resume properly after zzz

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 6 20:49:32 UTC 2014

On Saturday, October 04, 2014 04:24:11 PM Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM, <marekrud at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  - DELL M1330 with Intel graphics card (Xorg used to work with intel
> >
> >    driver
>
> All of the information I can find says that this unit has nVidia graphics,
> but Intel may be a low-priced option, as well. Again, /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> should have this information as should "pciconf -lv | grep -A3 vga". This
> laptop goes back to 2007, so it should be using the old UMS Intel graphics.
> It should not be using VESA, but if it is, that might point out a common
> thread.
>
> I don't know the details and the actual problem was never identified, but I
> know that some systems needed to have a kernel built with "NOOPTION VESA"
> to get it to resume. I had this problem on my Lenovo T520 (which I am using
> to send this reply).

That doesn't apply to his system.  I have an older HP netbook (i386) that
resumes fine in text mode with syscons, but does not resume in text mode in
vt(4).  (This is a case where the VESA bits actually help rather than hurt.)
However, if I kldload the kms driver ('kldload i915kms') when using vt(4),
then resume works fine (and it also works fine in X).

Marek,

Can you try 'kldload i915kms' before you suspend and see if that fixes your
issue?

--
John Baldwin