10.0 toolchain broken for C++11 code

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 9 00:46:00 UTC 2014

On 09 Feb 2014, at 01:12, Jim Ohlstein <jim at ohlste.in> wrote:
> On 2/8/14, 6:32 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> See also:
>> standards/185663
>> https://github.com/pathscale/libcxxrt/issues/16
>
> The fix was committed to head (260553) on 1/11/14 and was supposed to be MFC'd in one week. Seehttp://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=260553. I don't see that it's happened as of r261643.

I have merged the fix to stable/10 in r261644, and while I was at it, I
sync'd up stable/9 too, in r261645.  There are now only two differences
left between the version of libcxxrt in head and in stable/{9,10}; one
of these will be MFC'd very soon, and the other is up for reversal.

>> Being unfamiliar with FreeBSD my question is really, what sort of timescale
>> is typical for fixing this type of issue?  At least for my code, the
>> toolchain is basically unusable until this is fixed, and I don't think
>> there's a workaround for it.  If it gets fixed in -STABLE, is it possible
>> to selectively cherry-pick this somehow, or would I need to switch to
>> -STABLE wholesale?  Is there an expected date for 10.1 to be released?

It is easy to cherry-pick.  Either use svn to merge changelist 260553 to
your local source tree, or download the following as a patch, and apply
it manually:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/lib/libcxxrt/Version.map?view=patch&r1=260553&r2=260552&pathrev=260553

Then do:

cd /usr/src/lib/libcxxrt
make
sudo make install

> Probably a little while. 10.0-RELEASE was just finalized last moonth. If there's going to be an 8.5-RELEASE it will probably be next. Otherwise, 9.3-RELASE will probably be next.

Unfortunately, we only patch releases for security issues.  So the
earliest will either be 10.1-RELEASE or 9.3-RELEASE, since 8.x has
neither clang nor libcxxrt.

That said, 10-STABLE should mostly be just fine to run on a daily basis.

-Dimitry