10.0 toolchain broken for C++11 code

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun Feb 9 13:29:27 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 01:45:44AM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 09 Feb 2014, at 01:12, Jim Ohlstein <jim at ohlste.in> wrote:
> > On 2/8/14, 6:32 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> >> See also:
> >> standards/185663
> >> https://github.com/pathscale/libcxxrt/issues/16
> >
> > The fix was committed to head (260553) on 1/11/14 and was supposed to be MFC'd in one week. Seehttp://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=260553. I don't see that it's happened as of r261643.
>
> I have merged the fix to stable/10 in r261644, and while I was at it, I
> sync'd up stable/9 too, in r261645.  There are now only two differences
> left between the version of libcxxrt in head and in stable/{9,10}; one
> of these will be MFC'd very soon, and the other is up for reversal.
>

> >> Being unfamiliar with FreeBSD my question is really, what sort of timescale
> >> is typical for fixing this type of issue?  At least for my code, the
> >> toolchain is basically unusable until this is fixed, and I don't think
> >> there's a workaround for it.  If it gets fixed in -STABLE, is it possible
> >> to selectively cherry-pick this somehow, or would I need to switch to
> >> -STABLE wholesale?  Is there an expected date for 10.1 to be released?
>
> It is easy to cherry-pick.  Either use svn to merge changelist 260553 to
> your local source tree, or download the following as a patch, and apply
> it manually:
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/lib/libcxxrt/Version.map?view=patch&r1=260553&r2=260552&pathrev=260553
>
> Then do:
>
> cd /usr/src/lib/libcxxrt
> make
> sudo make install

This worked just fine, thanks, so I can carry on porting the code.  I guess
I'll just have to wait until 10.1 is out before others can make proper use
of it, but that's fine.

One other toolchain related issue I have is that on powerpc, which isn't
using clang yet, it's using GCC 4.2 which doesn't support C++11.  Are there
plans to have a common toolchain across all architectures (or at least,
feature parity)?  [This was an issue we had in Debian until a few weeks back;
now it's GCC 4.8 for all.]  While the newer clang and gcc versions are
available in ports, in practice there are compatibility issues particularly
if there's a mismatch between libstdc++/libc++.  This makes it difficult to
use clang 3.3/3.4 for example, since dependent C++ libraries were linked
against libstdc++.

Thanks all,
Roger

--