10.0 toolchain broken for C++11 code

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Sun Feb 9 00:13:19 UTC 2014

Hello,

On 2/8/14, 6:32 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new to using FreeBSD.  I'm the author of the schroot(1) tool, and I've
> been porting it to FreeBSD using the new 10.0-RELEASE on amd64 and powerpc.
> The plan is to make it support jails and ZFS snapshots on FreeBSD systems.
> However, I've hit a blocker in that after fixing a few Linux-isms I've
> I've found that I can't actually link my code.
>
> This is a minimal testcase:
>
> % cat test.cpp
> #include <typeinfo>
>
> int main()
> {
>          const std::type_info& t = typeid(nullptr);
> }
>
> % CC -std=c++11 -o test test.cpp
> /tmp/test-OoDHHT.o: In function `main':
> test.cpp:(.text+0xd): undefined reference to `_ZTIDn'
> CC: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
>
> See also:
> standards/185663
> https://github.com/pathscale/libcxxrt/issues/16

The fix was committed to head (260553) on 1/11/14 and was supposed to be
MFC'd in one week. See
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=260553. I don't
see that it's happened as of r261643.

I have cc'd David Chisnall. Perhaps he can address it.

> Being unfamiliar with FreeBSD my question is really, what sort of timescale
> is typical for fixing this type of issue?  At least for my code, the
> toolchain is basically unusable until this is fixed, and I don't think
> there's a workaround for it.  If it gets fixed in -STABLE, is it possible
> to selectively cherry-pick this somehow, or would I need to switch to
> -STABLE wholesale?  Is there an expected date for 10.1 to be released?

Probably a little while. 10.0-RELEASE was just finalized last moonth. If
there's going to be an 8.5-RELEASE it will probably be next. Otherwise,
9.3-RELASE will probably be next.

--
Jim Ohlstein

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference." - Mark Twain