I do not quite understand why a BIND upgrade needs to touch soo much.

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Dec 15 21:15:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying get going in the new flow of pkg and poudriere.

So I'm building my packages with poudriere and using pkg (1.4.0)
to upgrade bind. With the sort of shocking result:
======================
Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        gettext-0.18.3.1_1
        elm-2.5.8_2
        libexif-0.6.21
        neon29-0.29.6_4
        rrdtool-1.4.8_4
        glib~pkg-renamed~E6E1-2.36.3_4
        LPRng-3.8.C_2,1
        gnome-mime-data-2.18.0_4
        libzvbi-0.2.34
        vcdimager-0.7.24_1
        flex-2.5.37_1
        bison-2.7.1,1
        gnutls-3.2.19_1
        git-2.1.2
        texi2html-5.0_1,1
        p5-Locale-gettext-1.05_3
        help2man-1.43.3_1
        yasm-1.2.0
        binutils-2.24_1
        gmake-4.1
        sudo-1.8.11.p1

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        gettext-runtime: 0.19.3
        glib: 2.42.1
        docbook: 1.5
        pinentry: 0.9.0
        npth: 1.1

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
        bind99: 9.9.6 -> 9.9.6P1
        gtk-update-icon-cache: 2.24.22 -> 2.24.25
        gtk2: 2.24.22_4 -> 2.24.25_1
        pango: 1.34.1_7 -> 1.36.8
        python27: 2.7.8_5 -> 2.7.8_6
        gobject-introspection: 1.36.0_3 -> 1.42.0
        gdk-pixbuf2: 2.28.2_1 -> 2.31.2
        gconf2: 2.32.0_6 -> 3.2.6_2
        dconf: 0.14.1_1 -> 0.22.0
        atk: 2.8.0_1 -> 2.14.0
        gnupg: 2.0.26_1 -> 2.1.0_1
        bash: 4.3.30 -> 4.3.30_1
        getopt: 1.1.5 -> 1.1.6

Installed packages to be REINSTALLED:
        subversion-1.8.10_3 (options changed)
        gdbm-1.11_2 (options changed)
        popt-1.16_1 (direct dependency changed)
        gstreamer-plugins-0.10.36_4,3 (direct dependency changed)
        libIDL-0.8.14_2 (direct dependency changed)
        ORBit2-2.14.19_1 (direct dependency changed)
        polkit-0.105_3 (direct dependency changed)
        dbus-glib-0.100.2_1 (direct dependency changed)
        shared-mime-info-1.1_1 (direct dependency changed)
        libidn-1.29 (options changed)
        libgpg-error-1.17 (options changed)

The operation will free 112 MB.
23 MB to be downloaded.
======================

I can "respect" the fact that some things need to be upgraded as a
side-effect, eg. ue to lib upgrades.

But why reinstall subversion which for me as user is an edge package
(nothing depends on it), and not reinstall rrdtools, which has other
dependancies (cacti).

So just going 'yes' by default leaves me with broken packages.
Or having to capture the list of removed packages and start adding that
by hand. Which in the end sort of boils down into doing full-fledged
'pkg upgrade', and giving me all new packages, with lots of
possibilities of broken services due to the upgrades. Requiring me to
checkout all services and stuff that I have on this server.

As an alternative
	portupgrade bind99
does the job with minimal invasive surgery.
But then I'm back to maintaining every package on every server just by
itself.

--WjW