9.2-RELEASE amd64 panic: vn_open_cred

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 02:29:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:26:17AM +1300, Matt Magoffin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been running a generic 9.1 kernel for some time, and tried to upgrade to 9.2. The upgrade itself goes smoothly, but after running a few minutes I get a panic like this:
>
> panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: ffffff836e0fc000
> cpuid = 0
> KDB: stack backtrace:
> n0 0xffffffff80947986 at kdb_backtrace+0x66
> n1 0xffffffff8090d9ae at panic+0x1ce
> nz 0xffffffff80b79eca at vm_fault_hold+0x1f8a
> n3 0xffffffff80b7a663 at vm_fault+0x73
> n4 0xffffffff80cf260f at trap_pfault+0x3~f
> ns 0xffffffff80cf29e4 at trap+0x344
> n6 0xffffffff80cdbd13 at calltrap+0x8
> n? 0xffffffff80d96898 at VOP_ADD_WRITECOUNT_APV+0x78
> na 0xffffffff809bad48 at vn_open_cred+0x5d8
> n9 0xffffffff809b676a at kern_openat+0x20a
> n10 0xffffffff80cf187a at amd64_syscall+0x5ea
> n11 0xffffffff80cdbff7 at Xfast_syscall+0xf7
> Uptime: 5m24s
>
> This is a production system for which I don't have a similar setup to test changes on, so I rolled back (via a zfs snapshot) to 9.1 after the panic consistently happened after rebooting. I can't say with certainty what was causing the crash: after booting I performed my usual system tasks which involved mounting some pefs filesystems (and thus loading the pefs kernel module) and starting up a Postgres server.
>
> After rolling back to 9.1 I did repeat the upgrade process and ended up with the same panic, so I have since left it in 9.1.
>
> I'm afraid I'm relatively new to FreeBSD, so I don't have any crash dumps. I wondered if anyone had any ideas on what might be causing this type of panic?

I do not see how you being new to freebsd prevents the system from dumping
core.

At least, look up the source line number for the VOP_ADD_WRITECOUNT_APV+0x78,
by loading the kernel.debug into kgdb and doing
list *VOP_ADD_WRITECOUNT_APV+0x78
The lines should be from the build-time generated file vnode_if.c, so please
provide the excerpt from the source file around the reported line.

Just in case, do you have out-of-tree kernel modules installed on your
system ?  If yes, did you recompiled them after the upgrade ?