Why can't gcc-4.2.1 build usable libreoffice?

Greg Miller greglmiller at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 11:59:59 UTC 2013

On 2/21/13, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> Greg Miller <greglmiller at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Did you build the Windows version yourself from source?
>>>
>>> If not, why you just don't get the binary WhateverOffice for FreeBSD and
>>> be done with this "problem"? That will surely save you the reboots. At
>>> least.
>>
>> One reason I moved from Linux to FreeBSD many years ago was to get
>> away from binary dependency hell, so I've been reluctant to try any
>> large binary packages in quite a while.
>>
>> In any case, some people in the thread wanted to know why others try
>> to build with something other than the default compiler, and one of
>> the answers is "it doesn't build with the default compiler, at least
>> for some of us." If you have a problem with that, you'll just have to
>> live with it.
>
> The port of libreoffice doesn't build with the system default
> compiler (if it's gcc; looks like clang will work), and won't do so
> even if you ask it to. The original poster thinks this is a problem,
> but since you didn't notice (or at least mention) the distinction,
> I'm not sure what position your argument is supporting.
>
> No compiler will build all of the programs in the ports collection,
> but as long as the ports infrastructure supports that fact, it isn't
> a problem. [In my opinion.]

When I said "default compiler", I meant the default for the port
(which was clang 3.1 from base on my system at the I sent that email),
not the system compiler. That seems to be fixed now with the latest
version of the libreoffice port, which pulls in lang/clang, which does
seem to get the job done nicely.