Strange reboot since 9.1

Marcelo Gondim gondim at bsdinfo.com.br
Wed Mar 6 11:02:51 UTC 2013

Em 06/03/13 06:18, Marin Atanasov Nikolov escreveu:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Loïc Blot <loic.blot at unix-experience.fr>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
> Hi,
>

>> Since FreeBSD 9.1 I have strange problems with the distribution. Some
>> servers are rebooting without any kernel panic, instanly. First i
>> thought it's a problem with my KVM system, but one of my FreeBSD under a
>> Dell R210 have the same problem.
>> The servers concerned are now:
>> - Monitoring server
>> - LDAP test server
>> - Some other servers, randomly (not in production).
>> First i thought it's a problem with my FreeBSD install, then i download
>> another time the ISO but the problem was already here. After i try
>> another thing, install 9.0 and upgrade to 9.1 but same problem.
>> How can i get informations about this problem ?
>>

> I've had similar issues with one of my FreeBSD systems. My system had
> spontaneous reboots without any kernel panic, without any clear evidence of
> why it happened.
>
> After a lot of trials and tests the root cause appeared to be the amount of
> ZFS snapshots I had, which were more than 1K on a 8G system.
>
> Upgrading from 9.0 to 9.1 didn't solve the issue, as clearly I had to do
> some cleanup of the ZFS snapshots and since then it's more than a month
> without any reboots.
>
> Few pointers that you could use -- get these systems monitored and keep an
> eye on the monitoring system -- CPU usage, memory, processes, network
> traffic, etc.. I've noticed that my system was running low on free memory
> and that later led me to the ZFS snapshots clue.
>
> So, my advise is to get first these systems monitored and watch for
> anything unusual happening. Then further investigate.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
> Marin
>

>> Thanks for advance.
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Loïc BLOT, Engineering
>> UNIX Systems, Security and Networks
>> http://www.unix-experience.fr

I have same problem but I'm using UFS and FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE with dumdev
enabled (dumpdev="AUTO"). After spontaneous reboots, nothing in /var/crash.
Spontaneous reboots always happen between 00:00 am and 09:00 am.

FreeBSD rt01.xxx.com 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #14 r247497: Thu Feb
28 21:32:09 BRT 2013 root at rt01.xxx.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/INTNET amd64

hw.machine: amd64
hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5606  @ 2.13GHz
hw.ncpu: 8