Write Failed message with 9.1-RC3

Reed A. Cartwright cartwright at asu.edu
Mon Nov 26 21:01:58 UTC 2012

I'm new to this list...

I'm running a bioinformatics server using 9.1-RC3 (64 cores, 512GB
ram).  I have a ZFS raid-z2 array attached to an LSI controller with a
SSD cache drive.

Since upgrading to 9.1-RC2/3 (for AVX support), I have been
experiencing hard drive lockups with the message "write failed"
printed to the console.  After this reading from the hard drives no
longer work, but the machine is not locked up.  If the appropriate
files are in the cache, I can log in and execute programs.  I know the
LSI driver has been updated in 9.1 and I have updated my cards' bios
to match.  It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Once I was able to run top, and saw that many processes were stuck in
the 'tx->tx' state.

So far, no corruption appears to have occurred in the drives.

I'm about to downgrade to 9.0, but I wanted to know if anyone has any
idea what the issue is.

--
Reed A. Cartwright, PhD
Assistant Professor of Genomics, Evolution, and Bioinformatics