When did Xorg remove support for keyboards, and mice?!

Chris H chris# at 1command.com
Mon Nov 26 21:22:58 UTC 2012

Greetings Ian, and thank you for your reply...
> On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 12:25 -0800, Chris H wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>  Seems I get bitten by this every time I build a desktop on a new freebsd install.
>> After all these years, I'd have the _definitive_ answer by now.
>> I just put (built) a copy of 8.3 on an x(i)386 (AMD32) box. Built/installed
>> kernel && world. All went pretty well. Just finished building Xorg and friends.
>> Chose xfce4 as a desktop. The mouse and keyboard work "famously" on a tty. But
>> HALD(8) && DBUS haven't a clue. I get the idea these have been abandoned. :/
>> Anyway, I have hald_enable="YES" and dbus_enable="YES" in rc.conf(5).
>> I have the following in xorg.conf:
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>     Identifier     "Layout0"
>>     Screen      0  "Screen0"
>>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>> Also tried:
>>     Option	"AutoAddDevices" "false"
>> but didn't work.
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>     # generated from default
>>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>>     Driver         "mouse"
>>     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>>     Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>>     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>     # generated from default
>>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>>     Driver         "keyboard"
>> EndSection
>>
>> The error(s) returned when attempting to use X is|are:
>> (II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
>> (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
>> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module kbd
>> (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
>> (EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) No input driver matching `kbd'
>> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
>> (II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse
>> (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
>> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module mouse
>> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
>> (EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
>> (EE) No input driver matching `mouse'
>> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
>>
>> There is nothing in dmesg(8) to indicate any trouble.
>>
>> Whats a person to do? install Windows? OSX?
>>
>> Thank you for all your time and consideration.
>
> Have you tried just not having an xorg.conf file?  I'm running 8.3 with
> hal and it's working just fine for me with no conf file.
>
> Also, from those messages, I'd guess it's detecting the hardware, then
> failing to find the drivers.  If so, I suppose it could be because
> they're missing, or because of a path problem of some sort.  For me, the
> drivers are in:
>
> revolution > ll /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/
> total 82
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   919B Feb 12  2012 kbd_drv.la*
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    24k Feb 12  2012 kbd_drv.so*
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   933B Feb 12  2012 mouse_drv.la*
> [...]

Right you are! I was about to respond to my OP, but you beat me to it.
I'm running another copy of 8.3 (albeit on an AMD64), and was comparing
installed files, and noticed _exactly_ that which you so _rightly_ pointed
out; the absence of kbd && mouse drivers. I can't figure why they didn't
get installed this time. I tried pretty hard to follow the same path as
my last install. D'OH!

Anyway, thank you again Ian. I _really_ appreciate it.

--Chris