SU+J on 9.1-RC2 ISO

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Sun Nov 4 15:09:56 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 03:43 PM, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 11/03/12 15:09, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> (Please keep me CC'd, as I'm not subscribed to -stable)
>>
>> I've CC'd Nathan Whitehorn, who according to bsdinstall(8) is the
>> author (not sure if maintainer) of the code.
>>
>> This default has already begun to bite users/SAs in the ass:
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-November/246069.html
>>

>> SU+J (the journalling part specifically) needs to be disabled by default
>> in the installer.  This default was a very bad choice and should not
>> have been done.  It either indicates someone was out of touch with the
>> rest of the issues surrounding the feature, or that someone
>> intentionally decided "it's the best way to get people using it for
>> testing" (I have seen this justification presented in the past, and it
>> is the wrong approach).
>>
>> However, since some people DO want it (and those folks don't use dump),
>> the installer should be modified to make SU+J support toggleable via a a
>> checkbox.  The default, obviously, should be unchecked.
>>
>> If the user checks the checkbox, an ominous warning message should be
>> displayed informing the user of the repercussions.  The only option at
>> that point should be "OK", after which the checkbox is checked.
>>
>> Do not tell me "send patches".  This issue/problem has gone on long
>> enough, and the community bitched hard/long enough, that the person who
>> committed this default should be responsible for fixing it.
>>
>> We should operate under the assumption that this bug/problem will never
>> be fixed.  It probably will be, but again, we must operate with the
>> assumption that Kirk et al will require years to fix it.  (It has
>> already been something like 9 months.  Or is it a year?)
>>
>> [...]
>
> I will give this comment a BIG, BIG, +1!                   -- George

A small patch already sent via pr

Let's see what goes

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.