9.1 beta powerpc64 installer bugs

Daniel Morante daniel at morante.net
Fri Jul 27 17:36:09 UTC 2012

I have 2 Mac Pro G5's and was testing out FreeBSD 9.1 beta.  I noticed
some small problems in the BSD installer:

 1. When using the guided partitioning with entire disk selected, if you
    delete the pre-made "/" and create a new one (to make it a different
    size for example).  After hitting OK, the installer asks you to
    create an Apple boot partition even though one already exists.  If I
    select yes, I now have two Apple boot partitions.
 2. I also noticed that the numbering gets a little out of order if you
    don't delete ALL existing partitions first.  At some point I ended
    up with the numbering starting at 5 or skipping a 3 for example.
 3. If the installer fails at some point and I restart it, the DHCP
    option comes back with a an error saying it was not able to assign
    an IP via DHCP.  I can continue without DCHP and the IP address is
    pre-configured, however DNS is not.
 4. I wasn't able to create a ZFS partition (for example /data). I was
    able to add it from the guided partitioning screen, but when it came
    time to format and install, I received a mount error and the
    installer failed.

Other than that, the powerpc64 install on a Apple Mac Pro  G5 was
successful.