WARNING: stable/9 -> 9.1-BETA1...

Ken Smith kensmith at buffalo.edu
Tue Jul 10 18:45:36 UTC 2012

Through time we learned to try and avoid ever having a "stable branch"
call itself BETA-anything.  The reality is during every release the BETA
builds do get built from what's in the stable branch (we typically don't
create the releng/* branches until we hit the RC phase).  But past
experiences have shown us that not everybody knows that, and/or aren't
paying attention to the fact a release is under way.  And sorry to be so
blunt but...  Some people really freak out when they see BETA in
anything.  So, despite stable branches actually being what BETA builds
get built from in the past we've avoided having BETA appear in the
source code repositories.  Instead we have named it PRERELEASE, and used
a "build knob" to have the release build call itself the BETA.

The new build infrastructure that got phased in as part of 9.0 doesn't
have that build knob.  So, I'm about to do what we've tried to avoid
before which is do a commit that makes stable/9 call itself 9.1-BETA1.
After we complete the BETA1 builds (likely 2 to 3 days for all of them
to complete) I'll shift stable/9 to PRERELEASE and it should stay that
way until the release process is over (the next scheduled build is RC1
and we'll create releng/9.1 as part of doing that...).

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |