9.1 RELENG_9 Unable to cleanly dismount root partition on shutdown

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Mon Aug 27 09:28:24 UTC 2012

Am 27.08.2012 um 11:06 schrieb Matt Smith:

> I posted on this mailing list two weeks ago and never received any replies so I decided to raise a PR via the web form. But I think I submitted it under the wrong category and it's marked as low priority as well. But I think this is something that is a potential serious problem if I end up getting a corrupted filesystem so I'm posting here again in the hope somebody can help this time. The PR is amd64/170646.
>
> I'm now running the latest RELENG_9 code as of 25th August as I've done a new buildworld/kernel. I still get the same problem. When I reboot it I get WARNING: / was not properly dismounted and it rebuilds from journal. On shutdown I get the messages pasted below. I'm running amd64 with GPT partitioning, UFS2 with softupdates and softupdates journalling enabled. I have a custom kernel but I don't think I took anything important out of it.
>
> Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...7 7 2 0 0 done
> All buffers synced.
> fsync: giving up on dirty
> 0xfffffe0007102780: tag devfs, type VCHR
> usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 2292 mountedhere 0xfffffe000000729ca00
> flags (VI(0x200))
> v_object 0xfffffe0005101910 ref 0 pages 23509
> lock type devfs: EXCL by thread 0xfffffe00018fe08e0 (pid 1)
> dev label/root
> umount of / failed (35)
>
> Then when the box comes back up again it detects that / was not unmounted
> cleanly and recovers from journal before marking it clean once more.

> My fstab:
> /dev/label/root / ufs rw 1 1
> /dev/label/swap none swap sw 0 0

Is there a particular reason you've decided to glabel your partitions instead of using GPT labels? Which device did you do the newfs on, the GPT partition or the glabel device?  My hunch is that the label metadata sector at the end of the GPT partition is interfering with the filesystem.

I'd try labelling my partitions (gpart modify -i 2 -l root ada0; gpart modify -i 3 -l swap), then change fstab to reference the gpt labels (dev(gpt/root) instead of the glabel ones.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811