Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 29 19:54:53 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 12:32, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> That's how silly your argument is.  You can't do it, because FreeBSD
> does not have a system-installed desktop.  Even Xorg is a port.

It is in linux too, it's just that the various distros who focus on the
desktop have bundled it into the default installation so when you
install $distro you get a complete desktop environment from the
beginning. If you look under the hood, you can see the individual
packages that make up the "desktop."

For those arguing that FreeBSD is a great desktop OS, I would encourage
you to spend some time using some of the linux versions mentioned in
this thread. Or if you want to be really blown away just start with
Ubuntu. For some of you, the first reaction will be "this is not what
I'm used to!" but I encourage you to try and get past that, and look at
things from the "average user's" point of view. Most computer users
don't want to spend time fiddling with their OS, the just want to do
their thing (web, mail, documents and spreadsheets being the vast
majority of "things" they want to do). For those purposes a distro like
Ubuntu completely blows FreeBSD out of the water in terms of coming out
of the box in a fully functional state, and in terms of ease of use for
maintenance, updates, etc. there is no comparison.

All that said, I personally have been using a FreeBSD desktop in a
multi-boot environment for over 15 years, the last 10 have been
primarily on -current. But I *like* to fiddle with stuff, fix/report
bugs, etc. If you want to learn the OS, it's a great way to go. But
that's why I asked Jason what his goals were in my first message. If
your goal is simply to have a desktop environment that's easy to use,
FreeBSD is not it. We need to be honest with ourselves about that if
we're ever going to make progress on it.

Doug

PS, it would be really helpful if people could tone down the language a
bit, and the vitriol a lot. Thanks.

			-- OK Go