running newsyslog fiveminly

Eugene Grosbein egrosbein at rdtc.ru
Sun Jul 31 16:51:53 UTC 2011

Hi!

Suppose, there is a machine which writes two kinds of log files through syslogd:
quickly-growing that need to be rotated based on their size (hourly is too seldom)
and other that should be rotated once a day, at midnight only.

For first kind of logs we have to run newsyslog once every 5 minutes using cron:

*/5     *       *       *       *       root    newsyslog

For second kind of logs we have lines in newsyslog.conf such as following:

/var/log/mpd.log 640 16 * @T0000  JC

This must ensure that /var/log/mpd.log is rotated and compressed at midnigt only.
Note, that compressing the file takes 8 minutes.

However, every night at 00:05 I get an error:

bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out.  Possible reason follows.
bzip2: No such file or directory
	Input file = /var/log/mpd.log.0, output file = /var/log/mpd.log.0.bz2
newsyslog: `bzip2 -f /var/log/mpd.log.0' terminated with a non-zero status (1)

It seems, newsyslog still wants to process my file at 00:05 despite @T0000
time specification. Is it broken?

Eugene Grosbein