libarchive, lzma, and xz interaction

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 2 21:11:09 UTC 2011

On 7/2/11, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM, b. f. <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com>
> And you were right about the sequence o events. Due to a bug in the
> atkbd driver in 8.1 and 8.2 I installed 8.0-RELEASE and, after
> installing a few critical ports (which must have pulled in xz), I
> csuped RELENG_8, I applied the required patch (which has now been
> MFCed), and built a stable system. Unfortunately, I now had xz and got
> into the problems I reported.
>
> I am a bit disturbed to note that there is no entry in either
> /usr/src/UPDATING or /usr/ports/UPDATING about lzma moving into the
> base system and the need to re-install ports that had depended on the
> xz port and delete xz. While googling for the problem I found many
> reports of the problem with no solutions. A note in UPDATING (in this
> case, probably both of them, but at least /usr/src) could have made
> them easily resolved.

Yes, this probably should have been mentioned in UPDATING.  Oddly, it
did make it into the 8.1 Release Notes.  A complicating factor for
those using packages from the FreeBSD build cluster is that the
packages for 8* (i.e., packages-stable or packages-8-stable) are
usually built on some version of the oldest supported security branch
of 8, so for a period of time after the addition of xz to 8-stable
those packages included an unnecessary dependency on archivers/xz for
users of 8-stable, 8.1, and 8.1-stable.  Fortunately, in this case,
there probably wouldn't have been any adverse effects, other than a
small waste of space and some confusion.

b.