classes and kernel_cookie was Re: Specifying root mount options on diskless boot.

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Wed Jan 12 10:21:03 UTC 2011

On 2011-Jan-09 10:32:48 -0500, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg at nber.org> wrote:
>Daniel Braniss writes...
>> I have it pxebooting nicely and running with an NFS root
>> but it then reports locking problems: devd, syslogd, moused (and maybe

Actually, that was me, not Daniel.

>Are you mounting /var via nfs?

Yes.  I'm using "diskless" in the traditional Sun workstation style -
the system itself is running with a normal filesystem which is all NFS
mounted from another (FreeBSD) server.  I'm aware of the MFS-based
read-only approach but didn't want to use that approach.

>I note that the response to your message from "danny" offers the ability
>to pass arguments to the nfs mount command,

Actually, my original mail indicates that that I'm aware you can pass
options to the NFS mount command (passing nolockd will solve my
problem).  My issue is that there are several incompatible approaches
and none of them work by default.

> but also seems to offer a fix
>for the fact that "classes" are not supported under PXE:
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/90368

I wasn't previously aware of that PR but it is consistent with my
findings.

On 2011-Jan-10 10:52:34 +0200, Daniel Braniss <danny at cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>I'm willing to try and add the missing pieces, but I need some better explanantion as to what they are, for example, I have no clue what the
>kernel_cookie is used for, nor what the ${class} is all about.

I'm also happy to patch the code but feel that both PXE and BOOTP should
be consistent and I'm not sure which is the correct approach.

>BTW, it would be kind if the line in the pxeboot(8):
>	As PXE is still in its infancy ...
>can be changed :-)

Well, there are still some issues with PXE booting FreeBSD - eg as
discussed here.  But, I agree, that comment can probably go.

--
Peter Jeremy