Support for Areca ARC-1300-4X on 8-STABLE?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Nov 24 05:32:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 09:41:43PM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> Does anyone know whether the Areca ARC-1300-4X external SAS HBA is
> currently supported under FreeBSD/amd64 8-STABLE?  I just fired up a
> system that has one of these cards that is running 8.0-RELEASE and the
> HBA is not being detected properly by FreeBSD.  (It is being
> misidentified by the arcmsr driver.)  I'm hoping that once I upgrade
> from 8.0-RELEASE to a contemporary 8-STABLE that it'll be supported.
> I found a posting on the Web that indicated a driver would be
> available in the first quarter of 2010
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2009-December/006115.html).
>
> I'm really hoping I can use this card, though I'm somewhat discouraged
> by the fact that the Areca Web site lists only drivers for Windows,
> Linux, and Mac OS X for this particular model. :-(

Have you contacted Areca about this?  Their Technical Support folks
would be able to tell you why this is, and if there is work being done
to provide a driver for FreeBSD.  A hardware vendor that is known to
support FreeBSD is more authoritative about their drivers than the
FreeBSD Project.  :-)

Also, please see this thread (which is very recent):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-November/059985.html