ahcich timeouts, only with ahci, not with ataahci

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Tue Mar 30 20:13:36 UTC 2010

Alexander Motin schrieb am 29.03.2010 21:25 (localtime):
> Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>> I have the drives now running in another server, ich7 chipset.
>> Using UFS, the complete machine locks up for ~30 secs with disk load of
>> 3.5MB/s. But I don't get any timeout messages and the machine always
>> recovered.
>
> Most of ICH7's do not support AHCI. What's about your's?

It does, it's a FujitsuSiemens Server and has ERST-II (LSI Software
RAID) along with AHCI.

>> Changing to the old ata driver solves the problem.
>> Any chance to get this problem fixed? I couldn't see lockups on another
>> OS with NCQ in AHCI mode enabled. I'd ship such a disk to anyone who is
>> willing to debug.
>
> It's difficult to fix something, until problem could be reproduced.

I understand!
The machine lock @3.5MB/s was wrong, sorry. Not the HD was the culprit
but an intermediate router...
But still there is the problem that ZFS stalls if I use these drives
with ahci, not with ataahci.

> If you wish to send drive - my address is:
> Topol-2, b34, f150, Dnepropetrovsk, 49040, Ukraine.
> Phone: +380503622312.
> Do not use courier services, only regular mail. Ask for tracking number.

Can you use such a drive? I mean for yourself. If yes, then I'll ship
it, but if you say "na, thanks, no such crap" then I don't want to waste
your time and highly appreciated skills to bother with vendor-specific
problems.

Thnaks,

-Harry

--
OmniLAN - UNIX & Windows Netze + Systeme
Harald Schmalzbauer