freebsd-update 7.2->7.3 manul merging of all files

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 10:30:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 27.03.2010, 16:45 Uhr, schrieb Thomas Krause:
>
>> Hi,
>> I want to upgrade a 7.2-RELEASE-p4 to 7.3-RELEASE with the command
>>
>> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.3-RELEASE
>>
>> After fetching and patching I get
>>
>> Attempting to automatically merge changes in files... done.
>>
>> The following file could not be merged automatically: /boot/device.hints
>> Press Enter to edit this file in vi and resolve the conflicts
>> manually...
>>
>> this goes on with *every* file in the /etc directory. What's wrong here?
>
> I got this once when updating from a self-built foo-STABLE to a -RELEASE
> later, because the $FreeBSD: ... tags were all wrong (and it was a nightmare
> that affected some 200 files).
>
> Did you installed your prior 7.2 system from a RELENG_7_2 cvsup/csup
> checkout, or was it a binary install?
>
> What triggers the conflicts for you - are there files where you only need to
> change the $FreeBSD: ... line but no others?
>
> I'm wondering if the etcmerge stuff should just ignore conflicts on the
> $FreeBSD$ line.

    Do you perhaps mean mergemaster? There is an option for that, but
I'm not sure if it's fully functional (and quite frankly it's a pain
in the ass doing a 8-STABLE -> 9-CURRENT upgrade... I can readily
confirm that). I just took a peek at freebsd-update and it uses a
completely different scheme from mergemaster though which doesn't take
the $FreeBSD RCS lines into account.
    One of the joys I've discovered of installing $FreeBSD based files
off CVS/SVN instead of RCS files tagged via csup // cvsup.
HTH,
-Garrett