freebsd-update 7.2->7.3 manul merging of all files

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Mar 29 08:41:29 UTC 2010

Am 27.03.2010, 16:45 Uhr, schrieb Thomas Krause:

> Hi,
> I want to upgrade a 7.2-RELEASE-p4 to 7.3-RELEASE with the command
>
> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.3-RELEASE
>
> After fetching and patching I get
>
> Attempting to automatically merge changes in files... done.
>
> The following file could not be merged automatically: /boot/device.hints
> Press Enter to edit this file in vi and resolve the conflicts
> manually...
>
> this goes on with *every* file in the /etc directory. What's wrong here?

I got this once when updating from a self-built foo-STABLE to a -RELEASE
later, because the $FreeBSD: ... tags were all wrong (and it was a
nightmare that affected some 200 files).

Did you installed your prior 7.2 system from a RELENG_7_2 cvsup/csup
checkout, or was it a binary install?

What triggers the conflicts for you - are there files where you only need
to change the $FreeBSD: ... line but no others?

I'm wondering if the etcmerge stuff should just ignore conflicts on the
$FreeBSD$ line.

--
Matthias Andree